Thursday, January 17, 2008

Reel Arabs are not Real Arabs!


If I were to create a media product to correctly portray Arabs, I would make a video showing the viewers, and demonstrating what regular Arabs do on a regular basis, rather than what they have been exposed to in the media. To do this, I'd need to show the viewers what I'm talking about. The true meaning of Arabs. In the video I would have an Arab family spending time with eachother, celebrating traditions, feasting, and many more qualities that correctly portray an Arab. On the other hand, I would be showing many videos and movies. A perfect example of this would be the the movie "True Lies". I mean, the name says it all anyway. Movies such as those cause the stereotypes real Arabs have been facing. In the media, you only see Arabs being portrayed as either rich and powerful, terrorists, suicide bombers, and many more things that put the "Reel" in Arab. Another example of a video I'd show would be what people think a "Typical" terrorist looks like. Achmed the Terrorist. In this video, you see exactly my point to how the media portrays an Arab, how Arabs are treated, and how others seem to view Arabs as a cause. Why choose Arabs? I'm sure other people would mind if we attacked them with stereotypes. That's why I don't think Arabs like the way they're being portrayed. With my video I hope I make an impact on lots of people's lives, because I want the world to see how an Arab should be portrayed rather than what we're given. Lastly, for all the people to view my video, spreading the word, and working together may cause a change how Arabs would be correctly portrayed in the media.

Achmed The Dead Terrorist.

Arab's Picture -
http://fast.mediamatic.nl/f/hmfm/image/755-500-334.jpg
Arab's Video -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uwOL4rB-go

No comments: